When I was living in Ghent the past couple of months, I didn’t just study, I also spent quite some time exploring the wonderful world of cooking your own dinner. It’s not always easy to come up with new healthy and tasty dishes, but luckily there’s always the internet for inspiration. Two of my favourites are this Moroccan lentil stew (I always made it with couscous) and these brown bean sauce and avocado wraps that Loepsie shared on her blog. However, on one of my last days at my dorm, I came up with this random dish with all the things I had left in my fridge (among which some of that bean sauce) and I loved it! It’s very easy to make and all the nice fresh vegetables make it perfect for summer. Enjoy!
(for three people)
For the sauce:
- one onion
- some pieces of garlic
- two carrots
- one tomato
- 250 grams of passata
- 300 grams of canned red beans
- some olive oil
- some chili powder
- a pinch of salt
- some garden cress
- cream cheese
and three pita breads per person.
- Cut the onion and the garlic into small pieces and put it in a pan and add some olive oil. Put the stove on medium heath and stir every now and then until it’s cooked.
- Cut the carrots into thin slices (otherwise it’ll take them forever to cook) and dice the tomato. Add them to the pan.
- While the vegetables are cooking, you can prepare the toppings. Dice the feta and put some olive oil and some pepper on there (no salt, because feta tastes pretty salty already). Wash the radishes and cut them into slices. Cut the avocado and add som salt and pepper. Wash the lettuce and cut it into shreds. Cut off some garden cress.
- When de vegetables are done, add the passata. Put the beans in a strainer, rinse them off and then add them ass well. Let the sauce simmer a little longer, and then it’s done!
- Heat up the pita breads in a toaster (or in a frying pan: on medium heath, otherwise they’ll get burned). When they’re done, cut them open, spread some cream cheese in there, take some sauce and top it off with some lettuce, radishes, avocado, garden cress and feta. Done!